A two-year, 1000 hour program dedicated to preparing students for current and emerging careers in the professions of natural hair styling, esthetics, nail specialty, cosmetology
- Combines crucial elements of art, science, technical skills, interpersonal skills, and entrepreneurship.
- Adheres to all ethical and professional standards of the cosmetology industry.
- Students are expected to participate, under supervision, in the actual operation of a full service salon on each campus, catering to real customers, in order to gain management skills and customer service experience.
- Curriculum includes commencement level math and English language arts.
Certifications & Endorsements
Upon successful completion of the 1,000 hour program, students are eligible to sit for the New York State Licensing exam to obtain a cosmetology license
Students completing the program successfully qualify to work as:
- Product Representative
- Business Owner
Employment opportunities requiring further education:
- Cosmetology Instructor
- Shop Manager
Each CTE program has a Work-Based Learning experience. This means that all students prior to the end of the second year are given the opportunity to be exposed to the operation of a business and specific job duties related to careers in their CTE area. This internship is designed to connect the skills and knowledge learned in the CTE classroom with the real world requirements of a business. Students must demonstrate good attendance, attitude, internship records, and work ethics, as well as respect for others and property.
CTE has worked with area colleges to ready students for the world of work and for the rigors of post-secondary coursework. This program worked with area colleges to obtain articulation agreements that allow for advance standing or the issuance of credit to those CTE students meeting all program requirements and articulation agreement standards. The colleges WSWHE BOCES has an articulation agreement with for this program are:
- Bryant & Stratton College
- Schenectady Community College
- Fulton Montgomery Community College